Cell phones are no longer a product just sought after by the young. According to a study done by the Pew Research Center, 42% of seniors age 65 and over now have a smartphone, and 80% own some type of cell phone. Those numbers are nearly double from just a few years before the study was conducted in 2018.
Since cell phone and smartphone use among seniors has skyrocketed, manufacturers have taken notice. Consumers aren’t limited to pricey smartphones that are out of budget for many seniors. They also aren’t limited to feature-free flip phones that can only make calls. Today’s cell phone companies provide the best of both worlds, making it easy for seniors to find feature-rich cell phones and smartphones that suit their needs and fit their budgets.
Modern cell phones provide connection to fast 4G and 5G networks, providing crystal-clear calls and fast internet access. Most cell phones feature front-facing and rear cameras for taking photos and making video calls. Many cell phone providers also offer consumers a variety of plans, tailored to the amount of use a consumer will need throughout the month. This can greatly reduce the monthly cost of owning a cell phone.
In this guide, we’ll explore our top 25 smartphones for seniors. We’ll look at phone prices, features, and networks. This list includes a wide range of phones with an array of features, providing an option for every senior who’s looking for a cell phone. Listed prices do not include the cost of service plans and are subject to change.
Budget Smartphones for Seniors
This inexpensive phone is the perfect option for someone on a budget looking for a no-frills phone that will work for texting, calling, and even listening to FM radio. The convenient see-through window makes it easy to check the time and missed calls without needing to open this flip phone. The decent-sized 1.8” screen and large buttons make it easy to use, even for those with vision impairment.
- 3G GSM network
- 1.8” display
- FM radio
- Memory slot expandable up to 32GB
- Large buttons
2. Nokia 225 4G
A compact bar phone, the Nokia 225 4G is a simple but powerful 4G phone with GSM compatibility. The small design makes it easy to carry and features a textured grip and curved shape. It also features FM radio capabilities and a few games for added entertainment. The phone sports a 0.3MP rear camera for taking pictures, along with a 2.4” QVGA screen for easy viewing.
- GSM capable
- Bluetooth capable
- 2.4” QVGA screen for clear graphics
- 1,100 mAh battery for long life
- Variety of preinstalled games
- FM radio feature for local listening
3. Samsung A157
This durable and lightweight flip phone is a great option for a phone user that just wants to be able to text and make calls with ease. With AT&T’s reliable nationwide network, this phone has the highest levels of dependability when reaching out to friends and loved ones. The strong battery in this phone is also a great feature for the moderate user who would like to be able to go up to 10 days between charging their phone.
- 6 hours of talk time and 10 days of standby between charges
- 1.8” screen
- 3G and GSM network capable
- SMS and MMS picture text messaging
- Loud speakerphone
- Flip-phone design is great for those who worry about breaking their phones screen
This smartphone is packed full of technology at an affordable price. The 4” display, 5MP camera, and 16GB of RAM put it on par with many popular phones of the past few years but at a fraction of the cost. Designed for the T-Mobile network, users can enjoy nationwide coverage and fast internet speeds. The BLU Advance L5 is a great option for those who want a good smartphone but don’t want to pay a hefty price for the fastest one on the market.
- Comfortable, firm grip for easy use
- Android 8.1 operating system
- 1.3 GHz Quad-core processor
- 16GB internal storage with expandable slot that fits up to 64GB memory cards
- 5MP rear camera with flash and 2MP front camera with flash
- 4” display
Tracfone has teamed up with Motorola to provide seniors with a high-quality smartphone for an affordable price. The Moto G Pure features the Android 11.0 operating system, one of the newest available. This phone features 32GB of internal memory for storage of apps and high-quality photos taken with the 13MP rear camera. The 6.5” screen makes for easy reading and viewing. The Tracfone system offers users inexpensive cell phone plans nationwide with no contracts.
- Android 11.0 operating system
- 32GB of internal memory
- 4G LTE network connectivity
- Variety of prepaid phone plans with carry-over minutes
- Water-repellent coating for added security
- Fingerprint scanner for easy unlocking
This AT&T-compatible flip phone is designed for easy use by seniors. The large buttons and SOS button make it easy to call friends or connect with others in an emergency. This MP3 and FM-capable phone provides a variety of entertainment options. 64GB of memory capacity offers plenty of space for photos taken with the 0.3MP camera. The 1,200 mAh battery offers enough battery life for up to 300 minutes of talking or 200 hours of standby.
- Large SOS button to make emergency calls and text 5 contacts
- 3G network compatible and 2G GSM network compatible
- Large tactile buttons for easy dialing
- Flip phone design for easy carrying
- Convenient charging cradle
- 2.8” screen for easy viewing
The sturdy Samsung Convoy is designed for easy use, reliable communication, and durability at military-grade levels. The extra-strong case is dust and sand proof, resistant to breaking when dropped, and can withstand extreme temperatures. With access to a nationwide 3G network and MMS texting, you can take pictures with this phone’s 3MP camera and send them to your loved ones with ease.
- Dual microphones with background noise cancellation tech for super clear calls
- Stereo Bluetooth
- Adheres to military standards for resistance to damage from shock, dust, heat, and cold
- 3G and GPS access
- 2” screen
- 3MP digital camera
- MMS and SMS texting means you can send pictures via text over the 3G network
- Reviewers love this phone’s long battery life
The BLU Advance Z5 is a great option for seniors looking for a compact and functional cell phone. The small bar style makes for convenient carrying. The 2G network from Straight Talk provides users with a reliable connection for calls and texting. The phone also features an FM receiver, flashlight, and MP4 player. For consumers looking for a basic phone at a very low price, this is a great option.
- Very inexpensive phone for calling and texting
- Android 4.0 operating system
- 2G network and GSM support with Dual-SIM slots
- 32GB internal storage, upgradeable to 64GB
- Compact size for easy use and storage
This low-price high-functionality option is a great choice for those who love to use their phones to text and email their friends, loved ones, and business partners. With a classic Blackberry feel, users enjoy the full QWERTY keyboard and handy navigation button to use their phones for more than just calling people. The built-in stereo and Bluetooth 2.1 functionality means you can write work emails, listen to your favorite news and music, and stay in touch with loved ones, all for a low monthly service fee through the nationwide AT&T network.
- Ultra-slim design
- Full QWERTY keyboard for quick typing
- Long-lasting lithium-ion battery provides 4.5 hours of talk time per charge
- Bluetooth 2.1
- 256MB internal memory
- MMS and SMS texting capability over AT&T 3G network
10. ZTE Blade A3
For those seeking a large-screen smartphone, the ZTE Blade A3 may be one of the biggest. Sporting a 5” LCD screen, this phone is easy to read and easy to use. This AT&T and T-Mobile compatible device offers 4G connectivity as well as GSM compatibility. The Android 9.0 operating system provides fast processing of photos and app usage. The 8MP and 5MP cameras make for high-quality photos and videos.
- Fingerprint scanner for quick unlocking
- Dual SIM slot makes it easy to stay connected to a variety of networks
- 32GB of internal memory
- Sleek design provides a beautiful look and easy holding
- Android 9.0 operating system
- 4G connectivity and GSM support
Mid-Range Smartphones for Seniors
11. Jethro SC490
The Jethro company has developed many senior-friendly phones over the years. One of its latest models improves on the older ones. The SC490 phone comes with a charging station for simple charging. A 4G LTE phone, it can connect to T-Mobile, Metro, Mint, and other cell phone networks. Up to 8 contacts can be added to the speed dial system. For those looking for a simple but useful cell phone, the Jethro SC490 is a very good option.
- Emergency SOS button reaches out to 5 preset contacts
- 2.8” screen for easy viewing of photos and phone numbers
- Big, tactile buttons for quick dialing
- No side edge buttons, ensuring no accidental pressing
- Hearing aid compatible for easy listening
- Sizeable phone provides an easy grip
For those that want to spend very little money on their phone and monthly service, TracFone has the Alcatel MyFlip for a low cost and features a variety of 4G service plans that go as low as $7 a month when you pay for a year of service. With large buttons, a loud external speaker, and a clear 2.8” screen, those with hearing or vision problems will enjoy this easy to use phone.
- 4G LTE on one of the largest nationwide networks
- 2.8” inner screen and 1.4” outer display
- 2MP camera and video recorder
- Bluetooth 3.0
- 1.1 GHz Quad-core processor with 4GB of internal memory, expands up to 32GB
- Up to 8 hours of talk time on one charge
- Reviewers love how easy this lightweight phone is to hold and set up
Easyfone has a great track record of creating cell phones that are easy to use for seniors. The company’s Prime A6 is one of its latest models, offering large-size buttons, a comfortable grip, and a powerful flashlight. Compatible with T-Mobile, this 4G phone features 16GB of internal memory and a set of essential apps. An alarm clock, FM radio, calculator, notepad, calendar, and more can help seniors throughout their day.
- 4G LTE network compatibility
- GSM 2G/3G/4G compatibility
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Powerful flashlight
- 1,050 mAh rechargeable battery
- Convenient charging station
This 4G cell phone connects seniors to a reliable network for calls with family or friends, and rhe large SOS button offers a fast way to call for help with just a tap. Big buttons make for easy dialing, while the charging base provides simple, wireless charging.. A 5MP rear camera and 2MP front-facing camera can be used to take high-grade pictures, stored on a 4GB internal memory card (upgradeable to 64GB).
- SOS button requires a simple touch to reach out to a list of family or friends
- Large, tactile buttons provide the feel of a landline phone
- 2,000 mAh battery for hours of talk time and days of standby time
- 1.3 GHz Quad-core processor for fast processing of photos and dialing
- 3.5” color display at 480×320
- GSM and 3G compatible
15. Alcatel Tetra
Alcatel is known for its powerful and reasonably priced smartphones, and its Tetra model is no different. With its 5” screen, this model is perfect for texting, surfing the internet, or watching videos. The quad-core processor offers plenty of speed for downloading files and using apps of all kinds. The Tetra has the look and feel of the popular, pricey smartphones on the market but lands at a much lower price point.
- 4G LTE and GSM compatible
- Large 5” screen
- 16GB internal memory
- Android 8.1 operating system
- Quad-core 1.1GHz processor
- 5MP rear camera, 2MP front camera
16. Easyfone T200
The Easyfone T200 lives up to its name, providing users with an easy-to-use cell phone. The convenient charging station makes this phone feel like a landline model. The SOS button offers added safety, allowing users to reach out to family or friends in an emergency. Eight buttons can be set as speed dial options as well. The 150 hours of standby time provides peace of mind that your phone will be ready for days of use without needing a charge.
- Emergency SOS button
- 4G network, GSM 2G/3G/4G compatible
- T-Mobile network compatible
- 8 speed dial buttons
- Convenient charging dock
- Large buttons for easy dialing
High-End Smartphones for Seniors
While pricier than other smartphones on our list, the Raz Mobility Memory cell phone offers more options for peace of mind and safety than other phones. Designed specifically for those with memory loss, this phone makes it incredibly simple for a senior to call friends, family, or emergency services. The screen can be set to always be on, contacts can be reached with one touch, and charging can be done wirelessly with an add-on. Best of all, caregivers can gain remote access to see their loved one’s current location, send reminders, edit contacts, check battery levels and much more.
- Large 6.2” touchscreen display
- Dedicated 911 emergency button
- Alternative RAZ emergency call option to help avoid unwanted 911 calls
- Photo & name visuals for up to 30 contacts with one-touch dialing
- Compatible with AT&T, Verizon, and other cell phone networks
- Wireless charging option of the 3,550 mAh battery
Another helpful smartphone from Raz Mobility, the MiniVision2 is specifically designed for those with sight issues. The large buttons and voice-command system make it easy for seniors to call anyone they need. An SOS button connects seniors to emergency services or close family in an emergency, and the 1,600 mAh battery allows for up to 7 hours of talk time or up to 200 hours of standby time. Best of all, the phone can read out what’s on the screen anytime the user wants. For the senior who struggles with their sight, the MiniVision2 is the best choice on the market today.
- Large buttons for easy dialing
- Voice-guided reading of all on-screen information
- Voice commands for easy control
- SOS button for emergency calling
- Single-button speed dial
- Wide range of daily-use apps
This easy-to-use smartphone offers users access to the GreatLink app to help keep their loved ones up to date on their health status, as well as an SOS feature with an easy-to-use panic button on the home screen. With all the modern features of a top-of-the-line smartphone, this is a great choice for those who want to use new technology like the 4G LTE network without worrying about learning a complicated system. Users don’t have to worry about signing into an annual contract since this convenient phone runs using a simple pay-as-you-go system.
- 16GB memory with 32GB expansion available
- 4G LTE
- Hearing aid compatible
- 13 MP camera
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 12-hour battery life during usage and 17 days on standby
- Simple to use menu with large font
20. Ulefone Power 6
For those looking for a premium smartphone at a moderately affordable price, check out the Ulefone Power 6. Designed with media lovers in mind, the Power 6 features a large high-resolution curved glass screen perfect for streaming movies in high-def quality. This phone’s extensive memory bank of 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, and up to 256GB of expandable storage means all the apps, pictures, and videos you could take will fit without any space issues.
- Bluetooth capable
- 16MP+2MP dual rear camera and 16MP selfie camera
- 4GB processor, 64GB internal memory, and up to 256GB of expandable SD space
- Waterproof up to one meter
- 6.3” FHD+ waterdrop 2.5D curved glass screen with 1080 x 2340 resolution
- Android 9.0 Pie operating system
- Three colors to choose from (black, red, or blue)
- Solid construction with easy-grip cover to prevent the phone from being dropped
This smartphone is designed for those who want a simple but modern experience with their cell phone. The extra-large 5.5” touchscreen is 35 percent bigger than the industry standard and perfect for typing while using high-speed internet provided by the Verizon network. The company offers low monthly no-contract services along with US-based tech support and customer service. This phone made our list of the most senior-friendly phones for its easy-to-navigate menu, hearing aid compatibility, and US-based support.
- Operates on Verizon network
- Large 5.5” touchscreen display
- Menu is organized into a simple list with large print letters for ease of use
- Hearing aid compatible
- Voice-to-text feature makes emails and texting quick and painless
- No-contract plans are great for those on a budget
- US-based customer service and tech support
- GreatLink app helps loved ones check on your status and health updates
22. Blackview A70
A high-end smartphone that has it all, the Blackview A70 is a fantastic choice for the consumer who wants to experience the latest technology. The supersized 6.5” full HD screen displays beautiful graphics and photos taken with the 13MP rear camera (or 5MP front-facing camera). 32GB of internal memory provides ample space for storing photos, videos, music, or apps. The 5,380 mAh battery is one of the most powerful on the market, allowing for up to 22 hours of talk time from a single charge.
- 6.5” FHD touchscreen
- Android 11.0 operating system
- Dual SIM available
- Superfast Octa-core processor
- Fingerprint and face ID unlocking
- 4G network compatible and 2G GSM network compatible
23. VoicePing P-one
The VoicePing P-one smartphone offers ease of use in a compact, durable package. This phone is IP54 splash resistant and surrounded by a tough exterior shell case. It can use all kinds of apps including Skype, Zoom, and other calling and video chatting programs. The P-one sports a loud speaker for easy hearing and 4G network connectivity for clear calls. This small but powerful smartphone has everything most seniors want in a smartphone, all with conveniences like large buttons and a bright, colorful screen.
- 4G network and 2G GSM network compatible
- Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity
- Quad-Core 1.5GHz processor
- 2.4” touchscreen display
- 2,800 mAh rechargeable battery
- 8GB of storage, upgradeable to 32GB
24. Oukitel Y1000
For those looking for a sleek and stylish smartphone without a huge price tag, the Oukitel Y1000 is a top-quality choice. The 32GB internal memory provides plenty of storage for pictures taken by the 8MP rear camera. For extra protection against the elements, the Y1000 features IP68-rated water resistance. WIth a drop resistance of 1.5 meters, this phone is likely the toughest on our list.
- 6.1” touchscreen
- Android 9.0 operating system
- Three cameras: 8MP + 2MP rear-facing, 2MP front-facing
- Fingerprint and face ID technology
- 3,600 mAh rechargeable battery
- GSM 2G network compatibility
This top-of-the-line device from the Samsung Galaxy line is a great option for the senior on a budget who wants all the great features of a new Galaxy phone. Its high-tech design features one of the world’s first built-in heart rate monitors, which works in conjunction with the S Health app. Combine this with the phone’s design built for durability and you have a truly “smart” phone for seniors.
- Rugged exterior designed to be dropped without taking damage
- 16MP rear-facing camera with full picture and video editing suite
- Android 4.4 Kitkat operating system is packed with cool features and apps
- Internal Memory: 16GB, 2GB RAM – microSD Up to 256GB
- Dustproof and water resistant
- Intelligent screen adjusts its brightness automatically to lighting conditions
- S Health app helps users monitor things like BP, diet, and exercise
- Built-in heart rate monitor