Call now for a FREE Consultation with a Family Advisor about Assisted Living in your area!
Free assisted living consultation

Minnesota is a wonderful place for an active senior to retire, with plentiful golf courses and some of the countries best bike trails (including 95 that are accessible to wheelchairs). While retirement income is taxed, there are tax exemptions available for the elderly in this state. There are many people that choose to retire here, and it’s projected that 1 in 5 of all Minnesotans will be over age 65 by the year 2030.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Minnesota

While you’re researching assisted living facility options in Minnesota, you’ll want to note information about available amenities, room sizes, services, prices and more. See our comprehensive directory below to view detailed information about assisted living facilities in the state of Minnesota.

Assisted Living Directory Tool

Quickly search our comprehensive directory

Show Filters
Finance Options:
Property Info:
Health Services:

Showing of Communities

Get personalized guidance for free.

Call Now

Learn More About the Best Assisted Living Communities in Minnesota's Top Cities

We’ve compiled a list of the best assisted living facilities in each the cities featured below using our unique methodology. View images, base pricing, room types, and more information about these communities by clicking on the links below.

Paying For Assisted Living in Minnesota

The Cost of Assisted Living in Minnesota

The monthly median cost of assisted living in Minnesota is $4,000 which is the same as the national average. According to Genworth’s 2018 Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in Minnesota is slightly more expensive than other states in the region other than Wisconsin and Illinois. North and South Dakota have the lowest average cost for assisted living in this region.


Assisted living costs vary somewhat across the state, but all areas hover around the state and national average of $4,000. Most areas of Minnesota are slightly less than the national average, but in Duluth and the Mankato and Minneapolis areas costs are higher.


In Minnesota, assisted living is the least expensive option of residential care at an average of $4,000. In-home care is much more costly at an average of $5,529, but nursing home costs more than twice as much, at $9,125 a month on average for a semi-private room.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Minnesota

In Minnesota, assisted living facilities are called housing with services establishments, or just establishments. While Minnesota’s Medical Assistance (MA) program, commonly called Medicaid in other states, doesn’t pay room and board, it does provide payment waivers for assisted living services received while living in a housing with services establishment.

Elderly Medicaid Waiver

Residents of Minnesota that need financial assistance for long-term care services received at housing with services establishments may qualify for the Elderly Waiver (EW) if they are low-income and in need of nursing-home level carer.

Who is Eligible?

To qualify for long-term care coverage through the Medical Assistance program, applicants need to require assistance with at least four activities of daily living (ADLs).

Applicants also need to qualify based on age and income:

  • All applicants need to be at least 65 years old, or disabled.
  • Applicants must be citizens of the US and residents of Minnesota.
  • Monthly income limits are generally set at 100% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG) a month for each individual, $1,012 in 2018 or $1,372 for a couple
  • Total assets cannot exceed $3,000, or $6,000 for a couple. If one spouse remains in the community, they may be transferred assets up to $123,600. Other assets are commonly excluded, like a personal vehicle and burial expenses
  • Some applicants may be able to “spend down” their income to qualify; if they participate in this program, their income limit changes to 80% of the FPG, or $810.

Alternative Care Program

Residents of Minnesota that need financial assistance for long-term care services but do not financially qualify for Medical Assistance (MA) may apply for Alternative Care (AC). Applicants with assets over the income limit (such as a house worth more than $500,000) must contribute a portion of their assets to pay for the costs of assisted living in a spend-down process. The AC program provides the same services as the Elderly Waiver, as well as services provided at home like a relative caregiver waiver and nutrition counseling. Applicants may receive up to 60 days of care while the application is processing.

Who is Eligible?

To qualify for Alternative Care (AC), applicants must be above the age of 65 and not qualified for Minnesota Medical Assistance (MA) program, despite the need for nursing home care. The applying senior may have more resources than traditionally allowed, but not more than what would fund 135 days of care in a nursing home.

The AC program is designed to help those elders who do not qualify for income-based programs, and are in the process of running out of money to fund their aging services. To qualify financially, an elder must have limited assets or a low monthly income. Assets can be no greater than $3,000 or the elder’s income must be less than $1,234 a month.

Those with incomes above $1,518 will still qualify for services, as long as their assets stay below $10,000- there will be a service fee, however, which amounts to 5-30% of the cost of AC services. Additionally, any elder who is currently barred from federal aging assistance services due to the transfer of a large sum of money within the previous five years will not qualify for this, or any federal medical assistance program for aging.

Housing Support Program

Low-income elders may qualify for the Housing Support program, previously the Group Housing Program, which helps pay for room and board in assisted living facilities. Payment amounts increase yearly; in 2017 up to $904 may be provided for room and board in a month. Participants of this program who aren’t eligible for the Elderly Waiver may also be able to receive supplementary payments up to $482.84 a month for extra care services they need. There is sometimes a waitlist for this program.

Who is Eligible?

Participants of the housing support program must be 65 or older and are bound to the same asset standards as Medicaid recipients, as listed above. Income cannot exceed $750 a month, or $1,125 if a married couple. The person applying must also need help with at least two health or supervisory services to qualify for a supplementary payment.

How to Apply

To apply, you’ll first need to request a long-term care consultation (LTCC). Find your local county health care office using the table below to contact and apply for medical assistance or housing support.

County Health Care Office Address Phone Number
White Earth Human Services 2531 310th Avenue
Naytahwaush, MN 56566
(218) 935-5554
Aitkin County Health and Human Services 204 First St. NW
Aitkin, MN 56431-1291
(218) 927-7200 or

(800) 328-3744

Anoka County Government Center 2100 Third Ave., Suite 600
Anoka, MN 55303
(763) 324-1200
Becker County Human Services 712 Minnesota Ave.
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
(218) 847-5628
Beltrami County Human Services 616 America Ave. NW, Suite 100
Bemidji, MN 56601
(218) 333-4223
Benton County Human Services 531 Dewey St.
Foley, MN 56329
(320) 968-5087 or

(800) 530-6254

Big Stone County Aging Services 340 Second St. NW
Ortonville, MN 56278
(320) 839-2555
Blue Earth County Human Services 410 S. Fifth St.
Mankato, MN 56002
(507) 304-4335
Brown County Adult Services 1117 Center St.
New Ulm, MN 56073
(507) 233-6820 or

(800) 450-8246

Carlton County Human Services 14 N 11th Street, Suite 200
Cloquet, MN 55720
(218) 879-4583 or

(800) 642-9082

Carver County Adult Services 600 E. Fourth St.
Chaska, MN 55318
(952) 361-1999
Cass County Human Services 400 Michigan Ave. W.
Walker, MN 56484
(218) 547-1340
Chippewa County Family Services 719 N. Seventh St., Suite 200

Montevideo, MN 56265

(320) 269-6401 or
(800) 450-6401
Chisago County Human Services 313 North Main Street, Rm 239
Center City, MN 55012
(651) 213-5640 or

(888) 234-1246

Clay County Social Services 715 N. 11th St., Suite 303
Moorhead, MN 56560
(218) 299-5220 or

(877) 282-2435

Clearwater County Dept of Human Services 216 Park Ave. NW
Bagley, MN 56621
(218) 694-6164 or

(800) 245-6064

Crow Wing County Human Services 204 Laurel St., Suite 22
Brainerd, MN 56401
(218) 824-1140
Cook County Adult Services 411 W. Second St.
Grand Marais, MN 55604
(218) 387-3620 or

(800) 663-6771

Des Moine Valley Health & human Services 11 Fourth St.
Windom, MN 56101
(507) 831-1891
Des Moine Valley Jackson Office 407 Fifth Street
Jackson, MN 56143
(507) 847-4000 or

(800) 622-5207

Dakota County Community Services 1 Mendota Road W., Ste 100
W St. Paul, MN 55118
(651) 554-5611
Dodge County Department of Human Services 22 6th St. East, Dept. 401
Mantorville, MN 55955
(507) 923-2900 or

(507) 635-6150

Waseca County Public Health 299 Johnson Ave. SE, Ste. 160
Waseca, MN 56093
(507) 835-0685
Douglas County Adult Services 809 Elm St., Suite 1186
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 762-2302
Faribault County Human Services Center 412 N. Nicollet St.
Blue Earth, MN 56013
(507) 526-3265
Fillmore County Social Services 902 Houston St. NW, Suite 1
Preston, MN 55965
(507) 765-2175
Freeborn County Dept of Human Services 203 W. Clark St.
Albert Lea, MN 56007
(507) 377-5401
Goodhue County Health and Human Services 426 West Ave.
Red Wing, MN 55066
(651) 385-3200
Grant County Social Services Department 28 Central Ave. S.
Elbow Lake, MN 56531
(218) 685-8200
Hennepin County Human Services & Public Health Department 1001 Plymouth Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55411
(612) 596-1300 or

(844) 803-8466

Houston County Human Services 304 S. Marshall St.
Caledonia, MN 55921
(507) 725-5811
Hubbard County Social Service Center 205 Court Ave.
Park Rapids, MN 56470
(218) 732-1451 or

(877) 450-1451

Isanti County Family Services 1700 E. Rum River Dr. S., Ste. A
Cambridge, MN 55008
(763) 689-1711 or

(763) 689-9877

Itasca County Health and Human Services 1209 Second Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
(218) 327-2941 or

(800) 422-0312

Kanabec County Family Service Department 905 Forest Ave. E., Suite 150
Mora, MN 55051
(320) 679-6350
Kandiyohi County Family Services 2200 23rd St. NE, Suite 1020
Willmar, MN 56201
(320) 231-7800 or

(877) 464-7800

Kittson County Social Services 410 S. Fifth St., Suite 100
Hallock, MN 56728
(218) 843-2689 or

(800) 672-8026

Koochiching County Human Services 1000 Fifth St.
International Falls, MN 56649
(218) 283-7000 or

(800) 950-4630

Lac Qui Parle County Family Service Center 930 First Ave. N.
Madison, MN 56256
(320) 598-7594
Lake County Human Services 616 Third Ave.
Two Harbors, MN 55616
(218) 834-8400
Lake of the Woods Social Service Department 206 Eighth Ave. SE, Suite 200
Baudette, MN 56623
(218) 634-2642
Le Sueur County Dept of Human Services 88 S. Park Ave.
Le Center, MN 56057
(507) 357-8288
Lincoln County SW Health and Human Services 319 N. Rebecca St.
Ivanhoe, MN 56142
(507) 694-1452 or

(800) 657-3781

Lyon County SW Health and Human Services 607 W. Main St., Suite 100
Marshall, MN 56258
(507) 537-6747 or

(800) 657-3760

Mahnomen County Human Services 311 N. Main St.
Mahnomen, MN 56557
(218) 935-2568
Marshall County Social Services 208 E. Colvin Ave., Suite 14
Warren, MN 56762
(218) 745-5124 or

(800) 642-5444

Martin County Human Services Center 115 W. First St.
Fairmont, MN 56031
(507) 238-4757
McLeod County Social Service Center 1805 Ford Ave. N., Suite 100
Glencoe, MN 55336
(320) 864-3144 or

(800) 247-1756

Meeker County Social Services 114 N. Holcombe Ave., Suite 180
Litchfield, MN 55355
(320) 693-5300 or

(877) 915-5300

Mille Lacs County Elderly Services 525 Second St. SE
Milaca, MN 56353
(320) 983-8208 or

(888) 270-8208

Morrison County Social Services 213 SE First Ave.
Little Falls, MN 56345
(320) 632-2951 or

(800) 269-1464

Mower County Health and Human Services 201 First St. NE, Suite 18
Austin, MN 55912
(507) 437-9701
Murray County SW Human Services 3001 Maple Road, Suite 100
Slayton, MN 56172
(507) 836-6144 or

(800) 657-3811

Nicollet County Human Services 622 South Front Street
St. Peter, MN 56082
(507) 934-8559
Nobles County Family Service Agency 318 Ninth St.
Worthington, MN 56187
(507) 295-5213
Norman County Social Service Center 15 Second Ave. E., Room 108
Ada, MN 56510
(218) 784-5400 or

(833) 543-1964

Olmsted County Community Services 2117 Campus Drive SE, Suite 200
Rochester, MN 55904
(507) 328-6500
Otter Tail County Dept of Human Services 535 Fir Ave. W.
Fergus Falls, MN 56537
(218) 998-8230
Pennington County Human Services 318 N. Knight Ave.
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
(218) 681-2880 or

(888) 681-2880

Pine County Health and Human Services 315 Main St. South, Suite 200
Pine City, MN 55063
(800) 450-7463 ext. 1570
Pipestone County Family Service Agency 1091 N. Hiawatha Ave.
Pipestone, MN 56164
(507) 825-6720 or

(888) 632-4325

Polk County Social Services

Crookston Branch

612 N. Broadway, Room 302
Crookston, MN 56716
(218) 281-3127 or

(877) 281-3127

Polk County Social Service Center

East Grand Forks Branch

1424 Central Ave. NE
East Grand Forks, MN 56721
(218) 773-2431 or

(877) 281-3127

Polk County Social Service Center

McIntosh Branch

250 SW Cleveland Ave.
McIntosh, MN 56556
(218) 435-1585 or

(877) 281-3127

Pope County Human Services 211 E. Minnesota Ave. #200
Glenwood, MN 56334
(320) 634-7755
Ramsey County Human Services Department 160 E. Kellogg Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 266-4444
Red Lake County Social Services 125 Edward Ave. SW
Red Lake Falls, MN 56750
(218) 253-4131 or

(877) 294-0846

Redwood County Human Services 266 E. Bridge Street
Redwood Falls, MN 56283
(507) 637-4041 or

(888) 234-1292

Renville County Human Services 105 S. Fifth St., Suite 203H
Olivia, MN 56277
(320) 523-2202
Rice County Social Services 320 Third St. NW, #2
Faribault, MN 55021
(507) 332-6115
Rock County Family Service Agency 2 Roundwind Road
Luverne, MN 56156
(507) 283-5070
Roseau County Social Services 208 Sixth St. SW
Roseau, MN 56751
(218) 463-2411 or

(866) 255-2932

St. Louis County Social Service Department 320 W. Second St.
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 726-2101 or

(800) 450-9777

St. Louis County Northland Branch Office 307 S. First St.
Virginia, MN 55792
(218) 749-7137
Scott County Human Services 200 4th Avenue W.
Shakopee, MN 55379
(952) 496-8686
Sherburne County Social Services 13880 Business Center Drive, Ste. 100
Elk River, MN 55330
(763) 765-4000 or

(800) 433-5239

Sibley County Human Services 111 Eighth St.
Gaylord, MN 55334
(507) 237-4000 or

(866) 396-9963

Stearns County Adult and Senior Services 705 Courthouse Square
St. Cloud, MN 56302
(320) 656-6000 or

(800) 450-3663

Steele County Human Services 630 Florence Ave.
Owatonna, MN 55060
(507) 431-5600
Stevens County Human Services Department 400 Colorado Avenue, Suite 104
Morris, MN 56267
(320) 208-6600 or

(800) 950-4429

Swift County Human Services 410 21st Street S,
Benson, MN 56215
(320) 843‑3160
Todd County Social Services 212 Second Ave. S.
Long Prairie, MN 56347
(320) 732-4500 or

(888) 838-4066

Traverse County Social Services Department 202 Eighth St. N.
Wheaton, MN 56296
(320) 422-7777 or

(855) 735-8916

Wabasha County Department of Social Services 411 Hiawatha Drive E.
Wabasha, MN 55981
(651) 565-3351 or

(888) 315-8815

Wadena County Social Services 124 First St. SE
Wadena, MN 56482
(218) 631-7605 or

(888) 662-2737

Waseca County Department of Human Services 299 Johnson Ave. SW, Suite 160
Waseca, MN 56093
(507) 837-6600
Washington County Community Services 14949 62nd St. N.
Stillwater, MN 55082
(651) 430-6455
Watonwan County Human Services 715 Second Ave. S.
St. James, MN 56081
(507) 375-3294 or

(888) 299-5941

Wilkin County Public Health 227 6th Street North
Breckenridge, MN 56520
(218) 643-7161
Winona County Department of Human Services 202 West Third Street
Winona, MN 55987
(507) 457-6500
Wright County Human Services 1004 Commercial Drive
Buffalo, MN 55313
(763) 682-7414 or

(800) 362-3667

Yellow Medicine County Family Service Center 415 9th Avenue, Suite 202
Granite Falls, MN 56241
(320) 564-2211

More Ways to Finance Assisted Living

Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:

  • Veterans Benefits: Veterans can take advantage of several different pension programs to help cover the cost of assisted living. For more information, see the article on
  • Life Insurance Policies: Even if a spouse or loved one hasn’t died, certain types of life insurance policies can be used to pay for assisted living. More information is available at
  • Long-Term Care Insurance: Long-term care insurance is a type of insurance policy that pays for long-term care when it becomes necessary, including the cost of assisted living. For more information on the benefits and drawbacks of this financing method, visit
  • Reverse Mortgages: Reverse mortgages allow seniors to access the equity from a home that they own, and these funds can be used to pay for assisted living. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development offers a federally insured reverse mortgage program.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Minnesota

Minnesota Senior Citizens Education Program

In Minnesota, residents who are over the age of 62 (or 60 for railroad retirees) qualify for free college education. There is no income limit or limit on the amount of education a resident may receive under this program. Colleges may only charge administrative costs, which is $10 per credit at University of Minnesota. To apply, reach out to the Minnesota college of your interest.

Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP)

A team of volunteers managed by the Board of Aging helps Medicare-eligible senior citizens make informed choices about their health insurance. The SHIP program provides counseling, education, and assistance on topics like:

  • Medicare, supplemental insurance programs, and public programs
  • Long-term care insurance
  • Billing, claims, and policy issues
  • Understanding and tracking medical forms and bills

To reach a SHIP counselor, call the Senior LinkAge Line at 1-800-333-2433.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program

Elders residing in an assisted living facility, their loved ones, and anyone seeking more information about long-term care in Minnesota can reach out to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman (LTCO) for free services such as:

  • Information about resident rights and long-term care regulations
  • Referrals to senior services
  • Investigation and help with resolving complaints

You can reach the Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman toll-free at 1-800-657-3591 or locally at (651) 431-2555, where you’ll be automatically connected to your area LTCO Ombudsman.

Minnesota Area Agency on Aging

The area agency on aging is a great resource for seniors looking for help with assisted living. These agencies provide information about long-term care facilities and can help to apply for medical and financial assistance.

Area Agency on Aging Address Phone Number
Arrowhead Area Agency on Aging 221 W 1st St
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 722-5545
Central Minnesota Council on Aging 250 Riverside Avenue North, Suite 300
Sartell, MN 56377
(320) 253-9349
Land of the Dancing Sky AAA 109 South Minnesota Street
Warren MN 56762-1428
(218) 745-6733
Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging 2365 North McKnight Rd., Ste 3
St. Paul MN 55109
(651) 641-8612
Minnesota Indian AAA 15542 State Hwy 371 NW
Cass Lake, MN 56633
(218) 335-8585 or

(888) 903-8543

Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging 201 N Broad Street, Suite 102
Mankato MN 56001
(507) 387-1256
Southeastern Minnesota AAA 2720 NW Superior Dr., Suite 102
Rochester MN 55901
(507) 288-6944
Chippewa Tribe Elder Services 15542 State Hwy. 371 NW
Cass Lake, MN 56633
(218) 335-8586

Veterans Benefits

As in most states, Minnesota has many Veterans Affairs offices to help vets in the state. Veterans and their families can call or visit a vet center to access benefits, medical assistance, and counseling services.

VA Office Address Phone Number
Clay County Veterans Services Office 715 11th St N # 103

Moorhead, MN 56560

(218) 299-5041
Crow Wing County Veterans Services 204 Laurel St # 14

Brainerd, MN 56401

(218) 824-1058
Stearns County Veterans Services Office 3301 Co Rd 138

Waite Park, MN 56387

(320) 656-6176
Brown County Veterans Services Office 14 S State St,

New Ulm, MN 56073

(507) 233-6636
Blue Earth County Veterans 410 S 5th St,

Mankato, MN 56001

(507) 304-4246
Olmsted County Veterans Services 2100 Campus Dr. SE # 200

Rochester, MN 55904

(507) 328-6355
Rice County Veterans Officer 320 3rd St NW

Faribault, MN 55021

(507) 332-6117
Dakota County Veterans Services 1 Mendota Rd West

St Paul, MN 55118

Ramsey County Veterans Services 90 Plato Blvd W #210

St Paul, MN 55107

(651) 266-2545
Veterans Affairs 20 E 12th St # 2

St Paul, MN 55155

(651) 296-2562
VA St. Paul Regional Office 1 Federal Dr

St Paul, MN 55111

(800) 827-1000
Minneapolis VA Health Care System 1 Veterans Dr

Minneapolis, MN 55417

(612) 725-2000
Sherburne County Veterans Services 13880 Business Cntr Dr. NW

Elk River, MN 55330

(763) 765-3100
Mille Lacs County Veterans Services 525 2nd St SE

Milaca, MN 56353

(320) 983-8208
Pine County Veterans Services 130 Oriole St E

Sandstone, MN 55072

(320) 216-4250 or

(800) 450-7463 ext. 4250

Duluth Vet Center 4402 Haines Rd #3

Duluth, MN 55811

(218) 722-8654
Veterans Affairs Department 320 Miners Dr. E

Ely, MN 55731

(218) 365-8203
Dakota County Western Service Center 14955 Galaxie Avenue

Apple Valley, MN 55124


Social Security Offices

The Social Security Administration might have resources available for elders, based on income, work history, and disability. To find out about benefits you and your loved ones could qualify for, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the website.

Minnesota Senior Centers

Senior centers are social hubs for active retirees. You can find group meals, exercise programs, art classes, and games at your local senior center. See the table below for centers that have websites with information and activity calendars.

Senior Center Address Phone Number
Edina Senior Center 5280 Grandview Square #101

Edina, MN 55436

(952) 833-9570
Minnetonka Senior Citizens Center 14600 Minnetonka Blvd

Minnetonka, MN 55345

(952) 939-8393
Delano Senior Center 234 2nd St N,

Delano, MN 55328

(763) 972-0574
Mary Ann Young Senior Center 9150 Central Ave NE

Blaine, MN 55434

(763) 786-9375
Apple Valley Senior Center 14601 Hayes Rd,

Apple Valley, MN 55124

(952) 953-2345
Coon Rapids Senior Center 11155 Robinson Dr

Coon Rapids, MN 55433

(763) 767-6473
Whitney Senior Center 1527 Northway Dr,

St Cloud, MN 56303

(320) 255-7245
Crow River Senior Center 11800 Town Center Dr #200

St Michael, MN 55376

(763) 497-8900
Eden Prairie Senior Center 8950 Eden Prairie Rd.

Eden Prairie, MN 55347

(952) 279-8050
Linwood Senior Center 22817 Typo Creek Dr NE

Stacy, MN 55079

(651) 462-5565
Community Thread Bayport Senior Center 2300 Orleans St. W.,

Stillwater, MN 55082

(651) 439-7434
White Bear Area Senior Program 2484 County Rd F East

White Bear Lake, MN 55110

(651) 653-3121
Forest Lake Senior Community Center 767 4th St SW


Forest Lake, MN 55025

(651) 464-5833
Burnsville Senior Center 200 Burnsville Pkwy # 102

Burnsville, MN 55337

(952) 707-4120
Pebmoob Senior Center 899 Payne Ave

St Paul, MN 55130

(651) 489-8567
Senior Community Services 10201 Wayzata Blvd., Suite 335

Minnetonka, MN 55305

(952) 541-1019
Hopkins Activity Center 33 14th Ave N,

Hopkins, MN 55343

(952) 939-1333
125 Live 125 Elton Hills Dr. NW

Rochester, MN 55901

(507) 287-1404
Lakeville Heritage Center 20110 Holyoke Ave,

Lakeville, MN 55044

(952) 985-4620
Hutchinson Event Center 1005 MN-15

Hutchinson, MN 55350

(320) 234-5656
Alexandria Senior Community Center 414 Hawthorne St

Alexandria, MN 56308

(320) 762-2087
Dayton Senior Center and Fire Station 1 18461 Dayton St,

Dayton, MN 55327

(763) 428-4692
Cook County Senior Center 10 Broadway

Grand Marais, MN 55604

(218) 387-2660
Evergreen Senior Center 5830 Grand Ave

Duluth, MN 55807

(218) 723-3663
Faribault Area Senior Citizens 19 Division St W

Faribault, MN 55021

(507) 332-7357
Blackduck Senior Citizens Center 24 1st St SE

Blackduck, MN 56630

(218) 835-7728
ROCORI Senior Center 527 Main St

Cold Spring, MN 56320

(320) 685-4935
East Grand Forks Senior Center 538 Rhinehart Dr. SE

East Grand Forks, MN 56721

(218) 773-0821
Golden Link Senior Center 324 N Main St

Crookston, MN 56716

(218) 281-3072
Buffalo Community Center 206 Central Ave

Buffalo, MN 55313

(763) 682-6036
Cambridge Senior Activity Center 140 Buchanan St N Suite 164

Cambridge, MN 55008

(763) 689-6555
Columbus Senior Center 16321 Kettle River Blvd

Cedar, MN 55011

(651) 464-8463
Gillespie Center 2590 Commerce Blvd

Mound, MN 55364

(952) 472-6501
Rush City Community Center 720 West 14th Street

Rush City, MN 55069

(320) 358-3611
Moorhead Senior Citizens Center 202 1st Ave N

Moorhead, MN 56560

(218) 299-5514
Breckenridge Senior Citizens Center 225 5th St S

Breckenridge, MN 56520

(218) 643-5730

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Minnesota

Assisted Living Admission Requirements

Assisted living services may only be provided in a housing with services establishment. To be a resident of an establishment, a person needs to require help with at least one activity of daily living (ADL) and one personal care service, or two ADLs.

Residents will need an assessment with an RN to complete their residency agreements, and a follow-up assessment every year to ensure their needs are always met.

Assisted Living Scope of Care

To qualify as a housing with services establishment, homes must provide each resident with either assistance with two (ADLs), or one ADL and one personal care service. ADLs are defined as:

  • Bathing, grooming, and dressing
  • Continence care
  • Eating
  • Positioning, transferring, walking, and using a wheelchair

Personal care services include:

  • Instrumental ADLs, or IADLs, which include services that help a person plan and go about activities like shopping, bill paying, and medical appointments
  • Observation and redirection of behavior as specified by their care plans
  • Health-related tasks such as medication assistance, tracheostomy services, and management of seizure disorders

Assisted Living Medicaid Policy

Assisted living costs like medical services and supportive services qualify for payment from Minnesota’s Medicaid program, called Medical Assistance (MA). There is also the Housing Support program available for low-income seniors to help with rent, and services if they don’t qualify for the elderly waiver. The MA program waivers do not pay directly for room and board but do cover services such as:

  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADL) or instrumental ADLs
  • Observation and redirection of challenging behaviors such as aggression
  • Assistance with health-related tasks like taking medication or tracheotomy care

To qualify for Medical Assistance for long-term care, you or your loved one needs to require help with at least four ADLs daily.

Assisted Living Community Requirements

Housing with services establishments are tasked with providing housing and regularly scheduled personal care services to adults, 80% of which in the establishment must be age 55 or older. To be licensed as a housing with services establishment, the residency needs to provide for:

  • Services in at least three of the ADL categories; bathing, dressing, grooming, eating, transferring, continence care, and toileting
  • Establishments must provide at least two meals daily and access to food 24-hours
  • As well as weekly laundry and housekeeping services.
  • Transportation to medical and social services appointments
  • Opportunities for recreation and socialization
  • Assistance with finding social services programs such as MA or senior centers
  • Easy access to the Residents Bill of Rights, as well as any scenarios specific to that resident that might infringe upon any rights, such as a medical situation that is identified in the resident’s care plan

Assisted Living Service Agreements

In order to admit any resident into a housing facility, the facility must complete a housing with services contract, also called a service plan, with that resident. The plan outlines:

  • Names and address of the housing establishment and anyone who provides services for, manages, or owns the establishment, as well as at least one person who can be served legal papers
  • A statement of the license and registration status of the establishment
  • Terms of the contract, including descriptions of all services that will be provided and what can be provided, the prices of those services, as well as the base rent
  • The contact information for the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman, and the process to file a complaint against the establishment
  • Billing and payment procedures
  • Residency requirements and the eviction process, as well as the referral process for when a contract is terminated
  • A statement detailing other services the establishment could provide, third-party services the resident could use if they become needed, and public programs that he or she could use to pay for those services, as well as contact info to receive a long-term care consultation through the state
  • Information about resident rights, like 24-hour access to food and the ability to furnish your own room

Elderly Waiver recipients must also create a co-ordinated service and support plan. This plan, which is due within 10 days of admission, outlines:

  • Service needs
  • Short and long-term goals to improve the resident’s health
  • Costs and frequency of all services that are proposed in the plan

Medication Management Regulations

Establishments must provide 24-hour access to a registered nurse to provide medication assistance to every resident. If a resident is currently capable of managing their own medication, then they can, but everyone must have the option to request help from an RN at any time if they need it.

Minnesota Assisted Living Staffing Requirements

Establishments must have at least one caregiver awake at all times, and the staff must always have access to an on-call registered nurse. The establishment does not have to provide any services that it does not feel prepared to provide but must provide access to service providers that can meet those needs for residents. The establishment manager is responsible for ensuring that there is always enough staff to provide the establishment’s services to all residents 24 hours a day.

Assisted Living Staff Training Requirements

The manager of the establishment needs to have at least 30 hours of continued education every two years year, in topics relevant to the care of the residents. The manager is responsible for ensuring that all staff are trained in the care of the residents, and to perform competency exams on direct care staff.

Some establishments may offer special units for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. In these establishments, managers must receive at least eight hours of dementia training initially and two more each year. Care staff who assist those with dementia must complete eight hours of dementia-specific training before working alone, and two hours of continued education a year. All other staff, such as maintenance, must receive at least four hours of training at orientation and two hours of continued education a year.

Background Checks for Assisted Living

Background checks are required for all direct-care staff in an establishment. Fingerprinting may be considered if a person hasn’t lived in Minnesota long enough to establish a record.

Requirements for Reporting Abuse

When a resident has a complaint against an assisted living establishment, they can contact the long-term care facility complaint line at (651) 201-4201 or 1-800- 369-7994, or click here to visit their website.

You can also call your local Long-Term Care Ombudsman at (651) 431-2555 or 1-800-657-3591, who will help the resident coordinate a solution with the facility and any outside agency that needs to be pulled in to mediate.

Healthcare workers are mandatory reporters and must file a complaint against any suspected or witnessed elder abuse. If you witness or suspect elder abuse, you can reach out to the Minnesota Department of Health Office of Health Facility Complaints by phone at 844-880-1574 or click here to file a report online.

Minnesota COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living Facilities

Note: The following information was compiled and most recently updated on 2/8/22. Since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving crisis, be sure to contact your assisted living facility or local Area Agency on Aging for the most up-to-date information.

COVID-19 Rules in Minnesota
Are loved ones allowed to visit residents in their assisted living community? Yes (Conditions Apply)
Are residents required to quarantine after their loved ones visit? No
Are loved ones required to wear masks when visiting residents? Yes
Are Hairdressers and other non-medical contractors allowed in assisted living communities? Yes
Are visitors screened for elevated temperatures before entering the assisted living community? Yes
Are residents allowed to leave the assisted living community for non-medical reasons? Yes
Are residents who leave required to quarantine when they get back to the assisted living community? No (Conditions Apply)
Are assisted living communities required to cancel all group outings? No
Are assisted living communities allowed to host group activities within the community? Yes (Conditions Apply)
Are staff members regularly checked for elevated temperatures? Yes
Are staff members regularly tested for COVID-19? Yes (Conditions Apply)
Are residents regularly screened for COVID-19 symptoms? Yes
Are residents regularly checked for elevated temperatures? Yes
Are residents regularly tested for COVID-19? Yes (Conditions Apply)