Call now for a FREE Consultation with a Family Advisor about Assisted Living in your area!
Free assisted living consultation

West Virginia will appeal to many, as the state is home to an abundance of wildlife, mountains, and lakes. While the state doesn’t have any true big cities, it is home to many quaint small towns with rich histories and a unique feel. Over 15% of the population is 65 or older, and the state-backed discount programs for various products and services makes it friendly to seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in West Virginia

It’s important to compare facilities when searching for an assisted living community, and our directory makes that process easier. Use the tools below to locate the right amenities, services, pricing and more for yourself or a loved one.

Find Assisted Living in Your Area

No Results Found

Assisted Living Directory Tool

Quickly search our comprehensive directory

Show Filters
Finance Options:
Property Info:
Health Services:

Showing of Communities

Get personalized guidance for free.

Call Now

Paying For Assisted Living in West Virginia

Cost of Assisted Living in West Virginia

The monthly median cost of assisted living in the state of West Virginia is $3,619. The state’s monthly median is cheaper than that of the national average and most of its neighbors, with the exception of Kentucky.

Charleston, the state capital and the city that boasts the most residents, is much more expensive than the state median at $4,457 per month. However, Huntington, the city with the second largest population, has the lowest monthly median of $3,350.


Median costs for assisted living in West Virginia are lower than those associated with other types of care except for in-home care and is considerably less expensive than that of a semi-private room in a nursing care facility.  

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Virginia

The Aged and Disabled Waiver

Medicaid does not cover the cost of meals or rent but will cover services that are deemed medically necessary as well as some personal care services such as hygiene maintenance, eating, and dressing in an assisted living facility. This is offered through the Aged and Disabled waiver program. The plan provides a monthly budget to hire personal attendants and other services that are needed for daily activity. The recipient will meet at regular intervals with a registered nurse to create a plan that is tailored to their specific needs.

Who Is Eligible?

The program is open to adults aged 65 and older who meet the income and medical necessity criteria. There is a $2,000 monthly income for single individuals and $3,000 for couples.

How to Apply

Applications may be done through the health insurance marketplace at or by calling the 24hr customer service line at (800) 318-2596, and (855) 889-4325 for the hard of hearing. The state also has its own website inRoads, through which applications for Medicaid and other services can be submitted. Applicants may also submit an application via telephone at (877) 716-1212, or apply in person a local Department of Health and Human Resources office.

More Ways to Finance Assisted Living

Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:

  • Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policies
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgages

Free Assisted Living Resources in West Virginia

Golden Mountaineer

The Golden Mountaineer Program is a state-sanctioned merchandise and service discount card that offers participants discounts at all locations of their partnering businesses across the state and is free to adults over the age of 55.

Senior Community Service Employment

The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a work training, community-based program that is aimed at adults 55 and older with limited incomes. The program trains seniors and provides them with part-time jobs at non-profits, in local government and at faith-based organizations that serve the community.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman

The ombudsman offers resources on facilities and programs that are available to seniors. This office also investigates facility complaints relating to quality of care, billing discrepancies and appeals of discharge or transfer. The ombudsman operates two offices, a state office that may be reached at (305) 558-3317 and (877) 087-3646 or via their website, and a regional office can be contacted through their website or by calling (877) 834-0598.

Area Agencies on Aging

West Virginia’s agencies on aging are a part of the nationwide network of hundreds of such entities tasked with the advocacy for the elderly populations of their state. They are endowed by the Older Americans Act and ensure that seniors have access to services that make their lives easier, such as meals, transportation, caregiver services, and other community resources.

The centers in West Virginia also offer the Legislative Initiative for the Elderly (LIFE), a state-funded program with services that vary by county. Below is a list of all West Virginia area agencies on aging. The state has four agencies that are divided into regions with each regional office serving a number of different counties.

Area Agency on Aging Address Phone Number
Region I

(Counties: Brooke, Calhoun, Doddridge, Gilmer, Hancock, Harrison, Marion, Marshall, Monongalia, Ohio, Pleasants, Ritchie, Tyler, Wetzel, Wirt, and Wood)

Northwestern AAA

PO Box 2086 (105 Bridge Street Plaza)

Wheeling, WV 26003

(304) 242-1800
Region II

(Counties: Boone, Cabell, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, Mingo, Putnam, Roane, and Wayne)

WVSC-Metro AAA 1400 Ohio Avenue, Suite B
Dunbar, WV 25064
(304) 720-6858
Region III

(Counties: Barbour, Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Lewis, Mineral, Morgan, Pendleton, Preston, Randolph, Taylor, Tucker, and Upshur)

Upper Potomac AAA 131 Providence Lane
Petersburg, WV 26847
(304) 257-1221 or (800) 296-1221
Region IV

(Counties: Braxton, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Webster, and Wyoming)

Appalachian AAA 1460 Main Street, Box 2
Princeton, WV 24740
(304) 425-1147; or (800) 473-1207

Veterans Affairs

A pension benefit is among the benefits that some U.S. armed services vets may be eligible to receive. Traditionally pension benefits have been used to cover the cost of nursing facilities for older veterans, but these benefits may also be used for assisted living facilities. However, veterans affairs will not classify assisted living facilities as nursing homes, so while benefits may be used for assisted living, qualified veterans will need to be rated to qualify to use pension fund benefits in this way. Veterans in West Virginia who wish to find out if they can be rated to use pension funds for assisted living should visit one of the facilities on the list below.

Veteran’s Affairs Office Address Phone
Beckley Vet Center 201 Grey Flats Road
Beckley, WV 25801
(304) 252-8220
Charleston Vet Center 200 Tracy Way
Charleston, WV 25311
(304) 343-3825
Henlawson Vet Center 21 Veterans Avenue
Henlawson, WV 25624
(304) 752-4453 Or

(877) 927-8387

Huntington Vet Center 3135 16th Street Road Suite 11 Huntington, WV 25701 (304) 523-8387 Or

(304) 523-8387

Martinsburg Vet Center 300 Foxcroft Ave. Suite 100A Martinsburg, WV 25401 (304) 263-6776 Or

(304) 263-6776

Morgantown Vet Center 34 Commerce Drive, Suite 101 Morgantown, WV 26501 (304) 291-4303
Parkersburg Vet Center 2311 Ohio Avenue, Suite D Parkersburg, WV 26101 (304) 485-1599 Or

(877) 927-8387

Princeton Vet Center 1511 North Walker Street Princeton, WV 24740 (304) 425-8098
Wheeling Vet Center 1058 Bethlehem Blvd. Wheeling, WV 26003 (304) 232-0587 Or   

(304) 232-0587

Social Security Offices

Another source of financing assisted living is social security benefits. You may visit one of the West Virginia locations on the list below to discuss the options that are available to you or a loved one.

Social Security Office Address Phone Number
Bluefield Social Security Office 3014 E Cumberland Road
Bluefield, West Virginia 24701
(800) 772-1213
Charleston Social Security Office 500 Quarrier Street Suite 300
Charleston, West Virginia 25301
(800) 772-1213
Clarksburg Social Security Office 320 W Pike St Clarksburg Federal Ctr
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26301
(800) 772-1213
Elkins Social Security Office 300 Third Street Suite 325
Elkins, West Virginia 26241
(800) 772-1213
Fairmont Social Security Office 9039 Middletown Mall Middletown Mall
Fairmont, West Virginia 26554
(800) 772-1213
Huntington Social Security Office 301 9th Street 3rd Floor
Huntington, West Virginia 25701
(800) 772-1213
Logan Social Security Office 1103 George Kostas Dr
Logan, West Virginia 25601
(800) 772-1213
Martinsburg Social Security Office 14 Compass Pt
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25404
(800) 772-1213
Morgantown Social Security Office 3596 Collins Ferry Rd Suite 100
Morgantown, West Virginia 26505
(800) 772-1213
Mount Hope Social Security Office 5475 Robert C. Byrd Dr Suite A-8 Mount
Hope, West Virginia 25880
(800) 772-1213
Parkersburg Social Security Office 425 Juliana Street Suite 4301
Parkersburg, West Virginia 26101
(800) 772-1213
Petersburg Social Security Office 111 S Grove St Suite 3
Petersburg, West Virginia 26847
(800) 772-1213
St. Albans Social Security Office 49 Olde Main Plaza
St Albans, West Virginia 25177
(800) 772-1213
Welch Social Security Office 50 Mcdowell Street
Welch, West Virginia 24801
(800) 772-1213
Wheeling Social Security Office 123 16th Street
Wheeling, West Virginia 26003
(800) 772-1213
Williamson Social Security Office 146 East First Ave
Williamson, West Virginia 25661
(800) 772-1213

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Virginia

Assisted living facilities in West Virginia are licensed by the Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification (OHFLC) which itself falls under the auspices of the Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR). In order to obtain licensure, facilities must adhere to a set of rules put forth by the OHFLC.

Assisted Living Admission Requirements

Facilities are required to disclose the costs of all services, basic or specialized, at or before admission, and residents must have a signed assessment performed by a licensed medical professional dated no more than 60 days prior to admission. Assessments must include health status, psycho-social analysis, activity levels, and dietary needs. Residents without an assessment will need to have one completed within five days of admissions.

Facilities may not admit residents that are in need of chemical or physical restraints or that may present a danger to themselves and others. Additionally, facilities may not admit residents that need ongoing or extensive nursing care. In the event of an already admitted resident needing ongoing nursing care, discharge is mandated and the resident must receive a written notice of discharge 30 days prior to the date of discharge unless in an emergency and the resident has been transferred to a hospital or other medical facility.

Assisted Living Scope of Care

Residents must be provided with services that assist with daily tasks such as bathing, getting dressed, and eating. Intermittent or limited nursing services may also be provided at the discretion of the facility. The facility can also seek outside services for an individual whose needs they are unable to meet, and who have the financial means to afford these services. These services may include nursing or hospice services but should not impact the level of service being provided to other residents.

Assisted Living Medicaid Policy

Medicaid does not cover the cost of meals or rent but will cover services deemed medically necessary as well as some personal care services through the Aged and Disabled waiver program.

Assisted Living Medicaid Policy

Medicaid does not cover the cost of meals or rent but will cover services deemed medically necessary as well as some personal care services through the Aged and Disabled waiver program.

Assisted Living Facility Requirements

Facilities in West Virginia are licensed by the Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification. In order to obtain licensure:

  • All facilities constructed or renovated after May 2006 must have at least 100 sq ft of open space per resident in a private occupancy room and no room may have more than two occupants.
  • Rooms with two residents must have at least 90 sq ft per resident. In small facilities constructed before 2006, there must be 60 sq ft per resident in a semi-private room, and 80 sq ft per resident in a private room.
  • There must be a minimum of one sink, toilet, and bath or shower per floor for every ten residents. All private rooms must have a toilet, sink, and a shower or bathtub.
  • All facilities must have smoke detectors in all resident rooms and corridors. Facilities that have equipment that emits carbon monoxide, or that have fuel-burning appliances are required to install carbon monoxide detectors. Manual pull stations, a fire alarm system, and a written emergency preparedness and disaster plan, with procedures, are required.
  • Facilities with four or more beds are required to have a fire alarm system, a fire suppression system, and alarms. Facilities with 4-16 beds are required by law to have a National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 13D or 13R sprinkler system. Larger facilities with 17 or more beds must have an NFPA 13 type system.

Medication Management Regulations

Licensed staff may supervise residents that have been assessed as capable of administering their own medications by a medical professional. This supervision may come in the form of reminders, opening bottles and reading labels, and checking the dosage against the prescription label.

Staff that have completed Assistive Medication Personnel training may administer medications. An attending physician or pharmacist must review each resident’s medication regimen at least once per year.

Staffing Requirements

Facilities are required to have a licensed administrator and must have at least one personal care assistant on premises 24 hours a day in addition to one awake staff unless all residents have been certified by a physician or psychologist as not needing sleep monitoring. One staff member with up to date CPR and first aid training must be on duty at all times.

A sufficient staff to resident ratio, at the discretion of the facility, should be maintained at all times to ensure that residents receive all the help that they need. A registered supervising nurse must be employed if nursing services are provided.

Staff Training Requirements

All staff must complete orientation and a minimum of 15 hours of documented training before having direct, supervised contact with residents. An additional 15 hours of training is also required before unsupervised resident contact. At minimum, orientation topics must include:

  • Emergency procedures and disaster plans
  • Resident rights
  • Facility policies and procedures
  • Abuse prevention
  • Resident confidentiality
  • Complaint procedures
  • The role of the ombudsman
  • Reporting requirements
  • Specialty training on individualized resident needs
  • Infection prevention

An additional 8 hours of training is required for staff members before the end of their first year and is to serve as a refresher course of all topics covered during orientation

Background Checks for Assisted Living

All staff employed at an assisted living facility are required to submit to a registry check that may consist of a criminal registry or professional registry in the case of healthcare professionals. A mandatory federal fingerprint-based background check is also required.

Requirements for Reporting Abuse

Anyone may make a report of abuse to adult protective services if they observe or suspect that a resident is being harmed in some way. In West Virginia facilities, mandated reporters are doctors, nurses, mental health professionals and any other employee of the facility. Failure to on the part of mandated reporters to alert authorities to abuse will result in a fine of up to $100, ten days in jail or both.

Abuse can take the form of:

  • Physical or sexual
  • Psychological
  • Financial
  • Neglect
  • Failure to provide food and other necessities
  • Unnecessary restraints

Reporters or residents and their families should immediately call their local adult protective services (APS) office if they believe the resident to be in imminent danger or the local police. If unable to make contact with their local APS office, they may make a report by calling (800) 352-6513.

Facilities operating outside their scope of licensure or in an unlawful manner may also be reported by residents, their families, or employees of the facility. Examples of reportable actions may be:

  • Unsafe areas of the facility buildings or its grounds
  • Failure to comply with safety fire and safety laws
  • Failure to report resident injuries
  • Insufficient staff, or staff that are inadequately trained to help residents
  • Refusal to comply with medical orders

Facility complaints are handled by the Department of Licensure and Certification, parties wishing to report a facility are encouraged to first seek help with their grievance through the office of the ombudsman. If the ombudsman is unable to rectify the situation, they may then contact the Healthcare Facilities Complaint Line at (304) 558-0050.

West Virginia COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living Facilities

Note: The following information was compiled and most recently updated on 2/15/22. Since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving crisis, be sure to contact your assisted living facility or local Area Agency on Aging for the most up-to-date information.

COVID-19 Rules in West Virginia

Are loved ones allowed to visit residents in their assisted living community?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are residents required to quarantine after their loved ones visit?


Are loved ones required to wear masks when visiting residents?


Are Hairdressers and other non-medical contractors allowed in assisted living communities?

Not Available*

Are visitors screened for elevated temperatures before entering the assisted living community?


Are residents allowed to leave the assisted living community for non-medical reasons?

Not Available*

Are residents who leave required to quarantine when they get back to the assisted living community?

Not Available*

Are assisted living communities required to cancel all group outings?


Are assisted living communities allowed to host group activities within the community?


Are staff members regularly checked for elevated temperatures?


Are staff members regularly tested for COVID-19?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are residents regularly screened for COVID-19 symptoms?


Are residents regularly checked for elevated temperatures?


Are residents regularly tested for COVID-19?

Yes (Conditions Apply)


*Note: This information was not available for this state, contact your local area agency on aging or senior living facility for more information.

Learn More About the Best Assisted Living Communities in Wyoming's Top Cities

We’ve compiled a list of the best assisted living facilities in each the cities featured below using our unique methodology. View images, base pricing, room types, and more information about these communities by clicking on the links below.